The best time to schedule a furnace tune-up is in the fall. If you haven’t yet had your heating system professionally checked, don’t panic. But don’t wait for the cold weather either. A tune-up will ensure your furnace runs smoothly when you first turn it on for the season. We’ll explain in more detail why now is the best time for a furnace tune-up by your local heating company.
The Time for a Furnace Tune-Up Is Now
In Waukesha County, average daily temperatures drop rapidly in the fall. The freezing cold and snow of winter are not far away. Hidden problems can lead to expensive repairs if they’re not caught early. You could also be stuck with a broken-down furnace on a frigid day or during a snowstorm when it’s difficult for technicians to reach your home. They may also be busy on other emergency calls, causing further delays.
Why Should I Schedule Furnace Maintenance?
A furnace tune-up and inspection should be performed at least once a year. It’s not something you have to rush to do or clear your entire calendar for. But it can have many long-term benefits, not to mention everyday advantages. We recommend a furnace tune-up because it can:
- Help Your Heater Run Smoothly: A furnace check-up and any minor fixes or adjustments can ensure the system makes it through the season without any problems. It’s unlikely to break down in the middle of the night or fail unexpectedly.
- Improve Heating Performance: A lack of maintenance can lead to a furnace not providing heating. Or, parts of your home may be warmer or cooler than others. A tune-up ensures the unit runs at peak performance and keeps your entire home comfortable.
- Increase Efficiency: A well-maintained furnace uses less energy to provide the same amount of heating. Therefore, you can see lower energy bills. The savings over the entire winter season can add up significantly; you have a chance to save even more by scheduling your tune-up early.
- Improve Indoor Air Quality: A malfunctioning furnace can release soot, vapors, or carbon monoxide into the air. It can also make the air in your home more dusty. Maintenance addresses the issues that cause these and can prevent a fire or explosion, thereby improving your safety.
- Extend Operating Life: When you schedule regular tune-ups, your furnace can have a longer lifespan. Maintenance can delay the need for replacement by several years
- Keep the Warranty Valid: Manufacturer warranties often require regular tune-ups. Skipping furnace tune-ups and other maintenance can void the warranty, meaning you’ll be responsible for the total cost of any repairs.
There’s No Wrong Time for a Furnace Tune-Up
It’s best to schedule professional maintenance before your furnace is in high demand. But there’s no bad time for it. As long as you have the unit inspected at least once a year, you can theoretically schedule a maintenance visit in the middle of summer or even during the winter. We don’t recommend waiting until the middle of the heating season, but it’s better than avoiding maintenance altogether.
What Does a Furnace Tune-Up Look Like?
During a tune-up, a technician performs a complete inspection of your heating system. They’ll look for accumulated dust, condensation, and air or gas leaks. The blower system is inspected and cleaned and the combustion process is analyzed. An issue with combustion can be caused by a dirty or faulty burner, ignitor, or other component, a cracked heat exchanger, or a supply or ventilation issue.
The motor, wiring, and electrical connections are evaluated. Electrical components can be repaired if necessary. The technician then measures the airflow from the heating vents to determine if there’s a blockage or other issue impeding air movement. They’ll also test the thermostat and the system’s safety and limit switches. If the filter needs to be replaced, they’ll take care of that as well.
During a furnace tune-up, your heating contractor may even recommend tips for maintaining the unit during the year. For example, they can explain when to replace the filter, how to clean the unit, and ways to check for ventilation issues and signs of air leakage.
Call Over the Moon for Your Furnace Tune-Up
Our certified professionals will determine if your furnace is running safely, smoothly, and efficiently. A well-maintained furnace can last 20 years or more. As a member of our VIP Gold Star Plan, you’ll receive an annual precision tune-up of your furnace. We’ll also check your AC and electrical system during the year. To learn more or schedule a furnace tune-up, contact us online or call 262-240-6519.